Wednesday, December 16, 2009

4 Months of Info


Has it really been 5 months since I updated the blog? I have some good excuses, but what it boils down to is that somedays I feel like the same thing happens over and over and there is no reason to keep saying it out loud or in the blog. There have been alot of out of the ordinary as well. Quick update: Mom had hip replacement ( yes, that means she and Dad both were down for a few weeks), but she has recovered and is the energizer bunny again. Bo started and completed his first semester at Appalachian State - he loves it. LeaLea started high school and is playing Junior Varsity Basketball - she is the team high scorer (and I must say, THE BEST). Big T is still taking care of his Mom and Dad (not working). Abbie started Kindergarten - and is thriving. We sold our house - whew. My 6 month mammogram came back clear. hm....I think that about covers all the big news.

Dad is still holding his own. Good days, bad days. Mom was able to get a grant through the Alzheimer's Association and has someone coming in 1 day a week for 4 hours. This gives her a chance to get out. Although I have to say, I think she has used it to Christmas shop, grocery shop and doctor's visits. we need to get her out enjoying herself.
Some days are an uphill battle. It's funny how the big things are easier to handle and something small happens and I fall apart. I've said it before, some days I get it right, some days I don't. Most days I just try to make it through the day without crying or fighting back the tears.

Be kind and make good decisions.

4 comments:

charlene said...

hey martha i know ur mom and dad and u of couse it hurts me to see jv in that condition i do understand what ur going through our family is praying u to have strenghth to get through this

april said...

Hey Martha: It's so good to visit your blog again! I admire your strength and perseverance and the ability to take hold of simple joys. I hope you blog when you can- I love your writing voice-it rings true.

momranoutscreaming said...

Hang in there girl. I know that some parts of our lives are just "make it through the day" times. That is when we need to pull up those great memories and manage a smile through the tears.

Preacher Woman said...

Yes, most days are the same challenges, but they are still that and it's helpful to hear how others handle those challenges. Some days it's more overwhelming then others and then when other players on the team get put on the injury list, shoooo that is really tough. It's like you never get that cool down, water break. So glad you found project care. We've not applied for it yet because Pa is still very resisitent to someone from the outside coming in but I've seen how helpful it has been to others. Some days it seems this disease is contagious doesn't it? Glad you have some things to celebrate along the way too like Bo getting through his first year in college, ball games, seeing L. start high school. Life keeps on happeneing around us and juggling all that makes you one of the most amazing women I know!

Don't only worry about your mom finding times of enjoyment....Take times of enjoyment for yourself as well. You know the statistics show that most alzheimers patients outlive their caregivers so it's so very important that you take care of you!!!!!!!!!

So thrilled about the good mammogram......You are on my list of hero survivors!

Kelly