Friday, July 31, 2009

Folk Festivals and Memories


This weekend is the Mountain Dance and Folk Festival. If you grew up in WNC, you've probably heard of or been to this at least once in your life. Me, I've been many many times - but most of my memories are of meeting at the Westgate parking lot AFTERWARDS, everyone jamming together, taking a little nip out of bottle into the wee hours of the morning. We also were at the Mountain Youth Jamborees, Bascom Lamar Lunsford Festivals at Mars Hill, Fling Dings and of course the Shin Dig on the Green. My Dad and brothers played at Mountain Winderness camp ground in Burnsville on weekends during the summer, every holiday has a soundtrack...I was lucky to grow up in house filled with music. Bluegrass to Classical to Rock to Pop to Folk, we had it all.


When I think of my Dad's life the two things that stand out besides family are his military service and his music. I wish he could enjoy the Folk Festival just one more time....


Be kind and make good decisions.

No comments: